Monday, September 25, 2017
CHMSC History

Carlos Hilado Memorial State College, formerly Paglaum State College, is a public educational institution that aims to provide higher technological, professional and vocational instruction and training in science, agriculture and industrial fields as well as short term or vocational courses. It was Batas Pambansa Bilang 477 which integrated these three institutions of learning: the Negros Occidental College of Arts and Trades (NOCAT) in the Municipality of Talisay, Bacolod City National Trade School (BCNTS) in Alijis, Bacolod City, and the Negros Occidental Provincial Community College (NOPCC) in Bacolod City, into a tertiary state educational institution to be called Paglaum State College. Approved in 1983, the College Charter was implemented effective January 1, 1984, with Mr. Sulpicio P. Cartera as its President. The administrative seat of the first state college in Negros Occidental is located at the Talisay Campus which was originally established as Negros Occidental School of Arts and Trades (NOSAT) under R.A. 848, authored and sponsored by Hon. Carlos Hilado. It occupies a five-hectare land donated by the provincial government under Provincial Board Resolution No. 1163. The renaming of the college to Carlos Hilado Memorial State College was effected by virtue of House Bill No. 7707 authored by then Congressman Jose Carlos V. Lacson of the 3rd Congressional District, Province of Negros Occidental, and which finally became a law on May 5, 1994. Talisay Campus. July 1, 1954 marked the formal opening of NOSAT with Mr. Francisco Apilado as its first Superintendent and Mr. Gil H. Tenefrancia as Principal. There were five (5) full time teachers, with an initial enrolment of eighty-nine (89) secondary and trade technical students. The shop courses were General Metal Works, Practical Electricity and Woodworking. The first classes were held temporarily at Talisay Elementary School while the shop buildings and classrooms were under construction. NOSAT was a recipient of FOA-PHILCUA aid in terms of technical books, equipment, tools and machinery. Alijis Campus. The Alijis Campus of the Carlos Hilado Memorial State College is situated in a 5-hectare lot located at Barangay Alijis, Bacolod City. The lot was a donation of the late Dr. Antonio Lizares. The school was formerly established as the Bacolod City National Trade School. The establishment of this trade technical institution is pursuant to R.A. 3886 in 1968, authored by the late Congressman Inocencio V. Ferrer of the second congressional district of the Province of Negros Occidental. Fortune Towne. The Fortune Towne Campus of the Carlos Hilado Memorial State College was originally situated in Negros Occidental High School (NOHS), Bacolod City on a lot owned by the Provincial Government under Provincial Board Resolution No. 91 series of 1970. The school was formerly established as the Negros Occidental Provincial Community College and formally opened on July 13, 1970 with the following course offerings: Bachelor of Arts, Technical Education and Bachelor of Commerce. The initial operation of the school started in July 13, 1970, with an initial enrolment of 209 students. Classes were first housed at the Negros Occidental High School while the first building was constructed. Then Governor Alfredo L. Montelibano spearheaded the first operation of the NOPCC along with the members of the Board of Trustees. In June 1995, the campus transferred to its new site in Fortune Towne, Bacolod City. Binalbagan Campus. On Nov. 24, 2000, the Negros Occidental School of Fisheries (NOSOF) in Binalbagan, Negros Occidental was integrated to the Carlos Hilado Memorial State College system as an external campus by virtue of Resolution No. 46 series of 2000.